Saturday, February 2, 2019

2019 Gypsy Wife QAL - Section 1 Pinwheel Block

Before beginning each block, I strongly suggest you read through the entire directions and look at the pictures to be sure you understand each step and to ensure that you cut correctly.

As always, remember your accuracy in cutting…
keeping the measuring line of your ruler ON the fabric.


**********************************
Now we are making the Pinwheel block.  The directions can be found on page 19.  We will be following the cutting and directions in the left hand column stopping at the picture of the pinwheel for the 4in finished block.

I had a minor glitch with my camera so these first few pics are from a different project, but making the same unit... so please don't mind the fabric change.

Cut your four squares the required size.  
It appears to me that the designer is making this a very scrappy pinwheel using a variety of fabrics.  She has you cut your squares on the diagonal, mix them up, then sew pairs of triangles together to make 4 Half Square Triangles.
   
 I, on the other hand, will be making my pinwheel with just two fabrics.


We start by making 4 Half Square Triangles (HSTs)

 Pair up and lay 4 squares facing together.  
(I show only 2 squares here, but you will have to repeat this procedure with a second pair of squares.)

Draw a diagonal line.

I also drew a light line 1/4inch away from the center on both sides   I then stitch next to the side lines on the inside.


Cut on the center line to make two triangle pairs.  Press open the the triangles for two HSTs per pair of squares.  
You will need 4 HSTs.

  


Lay out your HSTs to form your pinwheel. 
    


Stitch the top two HSTs together and then the bottom two.  

 Be careful not to turn your HST in the wrong direction.

There should be 1/4 seam from the point to the edge of the fabric.
Mine is a little short, but I will show you how I can fudge it.
  

Now you will fold the top row down onto the bottom row.  
I insert a pin straight into the point where the two HSTs meet.  
I then pin on either side of the point pin to hold everything together.
Remove the point pin and sew.
Be careful to aim your stitching line just above that point.  
The center seams should nest together nicely.
This will help to insure that you don't cut off your points.


Open up your block and press.

It doesn't show well here, but you can spin the center where all the points meet to make the block flatter. 
(I will make a spinning post another day with a fabric that will better show the procedure/results)


You can leave comments and questions below.  I will reply to your questions ASAP.



2 comments: