Thursday, April 4, 2013
I was recently volunteering at the local Habitat ReStore, helping my daughter earn sweat equity hours. On a shelf, in the back, I spied this serger on a top shelf. I have never used one, but I understand they are great for finishing the edges of a quilt before binding. So, I asked about it. It had not been plugged in or tested, but if I wanted it, I could take it home, as is, for $10. I turned the flywheel (is that what it's called?) a few times and it appeared to be stitching the newspaper (rolling eyes here) so it came home with me. With all the tops I plan on completing this year, I think that she will be a nice addition to my machine collection.
In January, I had several projects that were near completion... just needing borders or a bit more hand stitching. There were several others that were just waiting their turn on the quilter. Pat Sloan is blogging monthly tips and ideas on how to move projects along, so I have jumped on the bandwagon too.
First, I made a list ... a long list... of all the projects I have on hand in various stages of completion.
Then I decided to make some progress... starting with actually quilting some of the tops I had already completed. When not taking care of family and activities, I spend most of my time quilting for customers or making donations or gifts... not quilting something for me. So, my UFO busting plan is to get my tops out of topville this year!
In January, I completed Lucky Charms... a free pattern by Pat Sloan. It is now hanging in my living room.
In February, I completed my Welcome Basket Sampler... my modified version of another design Pat Sloan. I started this in a class with Pat back in 2010. It hung as a flimsy on my wall last fall. Now it is ready for hanging this fall. This wall hanging won a blue ribbon at the district women's club competition and is currently on its way to Nashville for state level competition!
In March, I completed a jelly roll quilt, my ScrapMania Thangles quilt, and a baby quilt for my soon to be born grandson (oops need to get a picture of that one!) My proudest completion this year is the wall banner for my son's class. I blogged about it earlier; I started working with the "kids" individually in September, helping them choose a shape, fuse it and blanket stitch it to the background. I was able to complete the final construction in time to hang for Easter celebrations at the church.
Now it's April and next up is my Baltimore Album quilt. I purchased this quilt kit from my LQS several years ago and then just got busy and never got it made. Last year I assembled the quilt and this year it will be completed. It is the first one that my husband actually said he liked... without any prompting from me! Definitely a keeper! It is currently on the quilter and I hope to have it ready to bind this weeken.