Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Projects Update

I am really enjoying working in my redone studio.
Firstly, what's not to like... it's PURPLE!  (well lavender, but close enough)
The added lighting makes it bright and easy to see what I'm doing.
Cutting board, pressing table and sewing machines are all in a nice proximity
 and my stash is beginning to be sorted and stored for maximum visibility!

My word of for the year is
and I believe I have accomplished quite a bit so far this year.

I've not had a lot of free time for sewing, as I've been keeping busy with the studio repair and quilting customer tops (25 so far).  I have another dozen waiting their turn.  I'm a bit behind due to the repair work but hope to be caught up in the next by month end.
Here is an update on what I have accomplished in my personal sewing this past month.

Back in November I agreed to help Sr. Doris by making a quilt for her from a pattern that she had used in the past... Savannah Squares.  Health issues prevent her from sewing any more, but she really wanted this quilt for herself.  In the past, she sewed all the time and has given away much of her work to those in need. It is now time for her to have a quilt of her own.

It's not a difficult block to make, but it has 8 squares in it with that sewn-in arc.... something I'm not accustomed to making.  
So, I dug into my scraps and made a sample block to show her.  
She loved it!  
But then she wasn't happy with her fabric choices.  
So I went shopping (both in my stash and at Hobby Lobby) and I think I've found something she will be happier with.

I'm in the process of making 3 more blocks.. 
One, like that pictured above, and two with the red and green blocks swapped.
I think it will be nice to alternate them and as soon as I get those arc blocks made (it's slow going!) I'll take the results to her for approval before proceeding.

Another project I have been working on is the Big Brother quilt.  
I think I finally have enough HST strips to surround my fifty-six!! 8in squares.  With his birthday fast approaching I must really get busy on this to get it done in time.

Here are the first 10 completed blocks laid out. I know for sure I am going to need more of that red bandana fabric and hope to find it this week.


I started a place mat project back in February with the students from 
Hope Academy.  
They have done their part.... 
weaving strips of fabric through the cardboard looms I made.

Tomorrow, I plan to work with my friend Janice, 
removing them from the looms, stitching and finishing the edges.  
We plan to teach this project together during the FCE retreat the end of May,
 so this will give us an opportunity to perfect our method
and reload the looms!

I have a new knitting project to work on too,
but that will wait for another post when I get some pictures taken.