Saturday, December 29, 2018

2019 Gypsy Wife Quilt Along

I haven't blogged in quite some time... I think life just got very busy between family and work.  The loss of several people... family and friends... that I was close too just took all my energy away.

But now, I am back.  

While browsing around facebook recently I discovered an exciting new group to follow along as we piece an amazing quilt together.  I jumped all in and even volunteered to be a moderator!... what was I thinking!   :)

The pattern is The Gypsy Wife by Jen Kingwell of Amitie.com.au 





This looks like an amazing challenge for me to occupy my "downtime" between church and family and work and will feed my creative soul.

Join us on facebook at Gypsy Wife quilt along 2019 (sorry, when I figure out how to put the link here I will... for now just search for us on facebook)

UPDATE:   here is the link to our facebook page ....  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1020630088120710/


Everyone must purchase their own copy of the pattern... which can be found by doing a google search.  There are several sites and shops that you can purchase from (ie Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, and various online quilt shops).

No measurements or sizes will be posted... you must have your own pattern so as not to break copyright laws.

This will be a guided quilt-along.... that means beginning February 2, 2019 (and the first Saturday of each subsequent month) we will announce which blocks or section of the quilt we will be working on. Throughout the month we will post hints and tips to help you with challenges along the way (such as accurate cutting and sewing partial seams).

The quilt has been broken down into sections like so:



We are working out the details of how exactly we will do this... but just like eating an elephant, it will be one bite at a time!

**********************

So to get this started and be ready to begin sewing on Feb 2 here is a list of fabric requirements.   You can start gathering your fabric while waiting for your pattern to arrive.


Several months ago I found a collection of 99 fat quarters for sale on a website that I can no longer remember the name of.  I fell in love with this collection and purchased it with no particular project in mind.  I think it will be perfect for this project.


I think I have decided to use neutrals for a background rather than a variety of colors, so I may need to dig through my stash for a few more fat quarters.  But this will be enough to get me started.

A search of Pintrest will show you a variety of backgrounds and colors that others have made to help you decide on your own color theme.

Here is a blank coloring sheet that I believe you can print off and practice coloring your own way. 



8 comments:

  1. HM I am so glad you told about this on FB and I am looking forward to this quilt along! I linked this blog post to my blog and wrote about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to join this sew along. What do I have to do???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn... sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Come join us on the facebook page for all the details and to see what everyone else is doing.

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1020630088120710/

      To protect copyright status, no measuements will be posted, so you must obtain your own copy of the pattern. Do a google search or order directly from the designer at Amitie.com.au

      Delete
  3. Is this group now closed? I can’t find a place to join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did close the group because it is difficult to go backwards and help those just starting while we are continuing to move forward with others.

      Delete
  4. I’ve started on my own but it’s difficult. I’ve made it to section three. Will you start another group at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops. I hit publish by accident. I mainly want to see the blocks others are making. If you would consider letting me join, I would not be asking questions. I have the single blocks made and I have struggled. It’s just fun to see others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete