Tuesday, August 9, 2016

2016-07 Roof Woes

The work on the crumbling chimney revealed another problem... of course!  Raymond said it was soft and bouncy up there indicating that water had gotten under the shingles to the plywood and the plywood was wet and rotten.  He recommended a buddy in construction, saying he did very good work.  Since Raymond had done such a good job for us I called his buddy and got an estimate.

 





I gave the roofer a deposit  (june 22).... big mistake! .... and he promised to be back Monday morning to get the job done.   Well, it has been a  month+ of phone texts saying he was coming, then failing to appear with no explanation. Followed by another text with some excuse or other and a promise to come, and again failing to appear.

I was ready to kick him to the curb and demand my money back when he texted again that he was coming first thing in the morning to do the work (july 22)... hubby said give him another chance.

He arrived finally late afternoon (july 29) to work.  He borrowed our ladder (because he didn't want to lug his around ??)  and climbed up to grab a sample of shingle. He then went to Lowes to buy supplies.  He returned an hour later pulled up a section of the shingles and plywood. The plywood was rotten and crumbling apart. By then hubby arrived home and climbed up to discuss the situation. The job was going to be bigger than the roofer originally thought, so he did just this one small section before it got dark and started raining!....  and promised to be back the next day.


Well, again, another no-show and no phone call.  He texts me at 5am (Aug 3) to tell me he is coming to finish the roof today.  He did show up this time.  I didn't change my plans/errands for the day and left him to work.  I got home around 2 and he was still pounding away up there.  I was busy putting groceries away and noticed it was suddenly quiet.  I looked out to see him pull away in his truck.  He left some stuff behind so I could only assume the job wasn't done yet... he never said a word.

I got a phone call 8pm (Aug4) just after dark.  He said he had fallen and hurt his ankle and was in a boot and hurting bad.  It was pouring rain at his location 30mi away and he wanted to know if we were ok.. was it raining here?  He was worried that the rain would come down near the chimney and get in the house. It was going to be a day or two before he could get the metal bent and installed (the flashing?). He could try to call his worker and send him over to do something if I needed him... or if it starts raining any time in the night I could call and he'd be over..... Yeah right!  One of his excuses for lack of response is poor phone connection.  I'm sure his phone would suddenly work if I called him at midnight!   I told him it wasn't raining here yet... and then we got disconnected!   sigh.    

I told hubby the situation and with a huge sigh he climbed up on the roof... in the dark... and by now a light drizzle starting... He covered the chimney and roof area with a large tarp that we bought.  He secured it with bungie cords around the chimney and I handed up some bricks to lay on top of the tarp to hopefully hold it in place if there were any winds.

We were lucky... we have had no heavy rains or winds the last few days.
He showed up today (Aug 9), unannounced, and completed the work.

About 2pm he knocks on the door and says the job is done and wants to get paid.  I said hubby wanted to inspect it first.  Since I can't climb up to look, if he gave me an address I'd put a check in the mail in the morning, assuming hubby's approval.   Well, he needed the money today because he was behind in child support payments that had to be made by close of business today... and could I make it cash.  

I agreed to run to town and get cash, but hubby wouldn't be home until 6, after work.  He reluctantly said ok, and I  said I would call when hubby got home.

Hubby got home and went up to look. One small problem with a shingle kind of sticking up there. Roofer said there was a chunk of masonry under it and he just couldn't bust it to flatten it level with the others.... but there shouldn't be any problem with it.


He offered a 5 year guarantee of no leaks... and free repair if it does.  He aplogized for all the trouble.  He ended up having his daughter more often this summer than is usual and had to spend the time with her while he can.  I understand that... but i told him he should just explain the situation to the next customer and delay starting until his personal schedule is better situated.

The roof is now finally done and hopefully there will be no more headaches!




No comments:

Post a Comment